Tuesday, May 17, 2011

My Monopoly Money Bucket!

And how it came about....
I'm cleaning a cupboard in our rec room for my crafty stuff storage.  Because, my stuff has exploded all over the house and is looking for a place to call home. I didn't want to disgust you with a before picture but this is what it looks like cleared out (but not clean yet.)  
 This project is for another day but this is how my bucket came about.  Feel free to stop hear because it is sort of random -  I have this crazy desire to repurpose everything!   

Part of what I had to toss was a really old Monopoly game.  the board was falling apart and many pieces were missing.  I was not going to throw away the playing pieces.  Love the top hat, the Scottie, the iron etc  But I was so totally tossing the paper money (and feeling guilty about it) until later that morning..... 
I thought about the empty paint cans I bought at Restore for a dollar!  Mod Podge was staring me in the face! 
So - I sat down with the can, Mod Podge and the money  
 
Spread some MP over a small area of the can and started placing the bills randomly.
To totally cover the can, but still be random, I had to cut some bills at the top and bottom edges of the can. Used my craft knife {I used the lip of the can as a straight edge} to cut the pieces.  Hope this picture shows you what I am talking about.

Kept Podging and placing the bills until the can was all covered.   
Then I Mod Podged 2 layers over this baby!  
Now what to do with it?  See it as a planter here on the wrought iron table I redid for Jace's new house.  (Post coming soon)  I think it would be fun as a wine cooler or vase or storage.  

Anyway - I feel better about not tossing the Monopoly money.  Now if I can come up with an idea for the little plastic hotels and houses..............:)

Have a great week all!


I love these link parties!
SUNDAY

I Heart Naptime - Sundae Scoop
The DIY Showoff - DIY Project Parade
Under the Table and Dreaming - Sunday Showcase
Homemaker on a Dime-Creative Bloggers Party & Hop
MONDAY
Skip to my Lou-Made by You Mondays
DIY Home Sweet Home Project -  More the Merrier Monday
Keeping it Simple - Motivate Me Monday
Making the World Cuter-Making the World Cuter Monday
The Girl Creative - Just Something I whipped Up
Embellishing Life - Craft Catwalk
TUESDAY
Coastal Charm - Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays
Rook No.17 -  A Little Birdie Told Me
Today's Creative Blog - Get Your Craft On
No Minimalist Here - Open House
Ladybug Blessings - Handmade Tuesdays
WEDNESDAY
Night Owl Crafting - Hoo's Got Talent?
Elements Interiors -  Whassup Wednesday
Handy Man, Crafty Woman-Wicked Awesome Wednesday
Blue Cricket Design - Show and Tell Wednesday
Sew Woodsy - What's up Wednesdays
A Little Tipsy - DIY Under $5 
THURSDAY
Momnivore's Dilemma - Creative Juice Thursday
Somewhat Simple - Strut Your Stuff
The Shabby Chic Cottage - Transformation Thursday
House of Hepworths - Hookin Up with HoH
Fireflies and Jellybeans - Show off Your Stuff
Paisley Passions - Thrilling Thursday
FRIDAY
At the Picket Fence - Inspiration Friday
French Country Cottage - Feathered Nest Fridays
delicate CONSTRUCTION - Delicately Constructed Fridays
My Romantic Home- Show and Tell Friday  
Spunky Junky -  Feature Friday
Chic on a Shoestring-Flaunt It Friday
Fingerprints on the Fridge - Feature Yourself Friday
The Shabby Nest - Frugal Friday 
Sassy Sites - Free For All Friday
Mommaskindacrafty   - Fantabulous Friday 
Todays Creative Blog - Get Your Craft On
It's a Hodge Podge Life - Friday
SATURDAY
Funky Junk Interiors - Saturday Nite Special
Wildflowers & Whimsy - Sew Crafty Saturday





25 comments:

  1. This is adorable! It would be cute as a toy tote for a little kid too. Don't you just love mod podge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A toy tote is such a great idea! And yes - Mod Podge is great. One awesome creation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paint can as planter. Monopoly $ as decor. Fun project.

    Sharing this on pinterest!

    If you have a moment today, please share this with my readers @Creative Juice Thursday Hope to see yours among all the amazing projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cute!! mod podge is awesome:) thanks for all your cute ideas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute project! I love the idea of using parts of old games with missing parts instead of just tossing it all. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! I just decided to decorate our play room with games and was trying to think o something I could do with Monopoly money. Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that idea! It would be cute in a game room. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saw you over at momnivore.

    This is so cute!! I love how it looks as a planter. :)

    TheBargainBabe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mimi, I like this idea! Thank you for linking this up at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute!! Love it! I am visiting from Somewhat Simple and I would LOVE if you would kindly link up this awesome idea to my very FIRST Delicately Constructed Fridays; a crafty linky party that starts tomorrow!
    Please :)
    Have a great day!!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This project made me giggle because we play a LOT of Monopoly at my house and I've joked to my boyfriend about using parts of the game for craft projects. He's gonna flip when I show him this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So fun! That would be a great place to store all your smaller decks of cards for game night too:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what a great idea. I am doing a game room in my new home and I love this idea. Thanks for sharing.
    ladeedacreations.com
    My kids will love this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. very FUN!!
    thanks so much for stopping by & leaving a comment on my gallery wall ~ i really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute idea! Don't you LOVE mod podge! :) Thanks for linking up at the Sassy Sites Free For All party! When you get a chance, come back by and see what we've done for the American Crafter's competition... and maybe vote for us too! *wink*

    xoxo!
    Marni @ Sassy Sites!

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a brilliant idea!I have never thought of putting those bills into use.The last time I cleaned up during our last vacation,I threw them away...I should have never done that its my children's memento of childhood days!I regret it so much

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea, lol!! Monopoly money is so fun. Thanks so much for linking this up to our Wicked Awesome Wednesday party. I hope you’ll come back again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an awesome idea!!!! I have never seen anything like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha, that is so stinking cute. Thanks for sharing with my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So Simple & Cute

    http://ashtonscraftycreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Boy did this get my wheels turning! I am a French teacher and I'm thinking some play euros would be AWESOME on a can like this in my room! I'm all about Mod Podge these days- go see my map stools. They are holding up well, so I think I just might do this with the euros on my scissors can or something! GREAT idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this! Thank you for sharing your talent! I've featured you on my blog (sheedesigns.blogspot.com) for timeout Thursday, I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

    Mod Podge ROCKS!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The classic iconography of the Monopoly money makes this project an absolutely winner! Well done!

    Thanks so much for sharing it on "A Little Birdie Told Me..." at Rook No. 17!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this idea! Thanks for sharing! I save my change and every few months roll it up and it's like a bonus, lol. This would be perfect for my change!!!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you are here! Please leave a comment or note or whatever it takes so I can get to know you too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover