Wednesday, March 16, 2011

ORB! Rusty Wrought Iron Chairs and Tables. Will it Happen?



Sooo,  I have been seeing lots of stuff painted with the infamous Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze.  {ORB as some affectionately call it}  It is ALL OVER the place and I was very curious about why people absolutely adore this spray paint.  Looking at the many many blog projects posted using ORB, I just didn’t get it.  Wonderful, beautiful projects that I thought would be awesome in any color!  But it just seemed like ORB was everywhere!  Why ORB?  It was just really truly bugging me.   Well guys, I did what I had to do – I broke down today and bought a $7.97 can at Lowe’s Not cheap.  And, at the same time, I knew I needed a really good primer for the rusty rusty and more rusty project ahead.  Decided to try this Rustoleum Automobile Primer {for $3.77 at WalMart}  
So here is the deal!
I had been thinking about what to do with the abandoned {under our deck} wrought iron rusty chairs with rotten seats the previous owners of our house were SO kind to leave behind.   SWEET!  All eight of them!  And there are a few tables too!  Here you see one specimen :)
 So, when I got home from buying the primer and spray paint I hopped out of the car,  went straight to a chair as I was shaking that ORB can and sprayed tested a small area on one chair. BAM!  Ohhh I love this stuff!   Couldn’t hold back {just had to be sure so sprayed again.}    Oh yea it's official {and how sick is it that I am in love with a spray paint? Ha!}  So now I know why people are crazy obsessed with  love ORB   Awesome paint and as I walk through my house I'm giving the eye to lots of things that just might get ORBed!  My hubby and monster puppy are {at the moment} quietly slinking their way to the "basement man cave"  Ha!  Like they are safe there. :)  Ok back to the chairs
I had to strop myself because I wanted to have a before and after picture.   
Well what do you know - I did remember to take pictures!   On the left you can see where the chair had been sanded and the Automotive Primer was applied  Then I sprayed the popular ORB on the primed chair you see on the right   It only took one coat of the primer and one coat of the {expensive} ORB to cover the chairs  {Just a few touch up sprays where I missed}  This is the stuff that makes me smile! See what happens next.......
In a pinch I had to Duct tape {another great invention} two cardboard pieces together to create a pattern for the seat.  Made sure it fit.
Then I traced that onto my 1/4 inch plywood board twice for the two chair seats.  This is my first project using a table saw!  First time ever!  So pumped and already new ideas... See - not too bad a job - it fits!  
Next up I will be choosing an outdoor fabric and finishing the seat.  Hope to finish this project by Friday when my baby girl comes home for the weekend.  


Okay, update here - today is Friday {at 5} and I haven't quite finished.  But I did remember some outdoor fabric I bought a few years ago for a project that just didn't happen. I think it will look good on the chairs.  So, next problem is how to waterproof the wooden base?  I have been reading up on this and it doesn't sound like it can be 100%.  I do have foam that resists mildew {along with the outdoor fabric} so that's a plus. :)  Well, then I thought about using a shower curtain as a layer under the fabric.  Then spraying some Minwax Indoor/Outdoor Helmsman Spar Urethane for some added protection.  And that is what I did!  
Here's hoping!  And quite honestly, to be realistic - this is for a college house.  These girls are pretty savvy but I don't want them to have to worry about the "cushions on the patio".  {Like they would}   So if the cushions last a year or two we are good.   Here is the fabric, the shower curtain, the foam {thanks Hobby Lobby for your 40% coupon}, and my trusty little heavy duty stapler that will pull this act together!  
Next up I traced the board onto my 17 x 15 x 2 smart foam.  
Cut it out with scissors and placed it on top of the wood base.  
Then – shame on me – no picture of the next step.  {I thought I did} But basically, I cut my outdoor fabric piece (18” by 48”) into two pieces and cut the shower curtain pieces just a wee bit smaller.  


Put the fabric face down on the table, then the shower curtain on top of that, then foam and topped it off with the wood base.
Well, another minor detour :)  The heavy duty stapler wasn't heavy duty enough.  So I grabbed what thumbtacks I had and used those.  Running out of time here – she had to leave by 3:00!   Not easy using the tacks so, at that point, I was going with whatever it takes to get it done!   
As you can see, it is not a neat job, but that’s okay.  These college kids are not going to be looking under the seats and checking out how I finished them off.  {I hope}   Surely they have parties better things to do!
See - can't even tell!
And whew, finally finished!  Now I only have at least two more to do plus the table!  
But that will be another week.!  Hope she and her roomie enjoy these because they have a cute tiny patio with nothing there.  So, this is a start!   
The chairs are "en route" and baby girl promises to send pix from her patio.  I will be sure to post those soon
Meantime.....
Here's is what I am using one of the rusty chairs for until I redo it!  Also, you can see my sweet monster puppy Jack that chewed up my wooden Angel and my daughter's UGG                                                           slipper trying to eat the plant.  

Good thing you are so sweet Jack!  {And the plant is not dangerous}

AND HERE IS MY NEWEST POST.  I LOVE PARASOLS!
spray paint party
Linking to these amazing parties!
I Heart NaptimeSundae Scoop
Thrifty Decor Chick - Spray Paint Party
French Country Cottage - Feathered Nest Friday 
Whassup Wednesday at Elements Interiors 
At the Picket Fence  - Inspiration Friday  
Fingerprints on the Fridge - Feature yourself Friday
Strut Your Stuff Thursday at Somewhat Simple 
Sassy Sites - Trash to Treasure
Blue Cricket Design Show and Tell Wednesday 
Debbie Doos - Color My World Party  
 Beneath My Heart - Best DIY Projects of the Month
Fingerprints on the Fridge-Feature Yourself Friday
Under the Table and Dreaming - Sunday Showcase Party 

18 comments:

  1. You have me at "Hello" with this post. I feel your excitement and I want in. :) I have a fabulous chair for my kitchen that needs doing up. I have found my inspiration. Thanks. :)
    Tess

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great inspiration! I love your sweet chairs and can't wait to see how everything turns out! Thanks for sharing at FNF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im in LOOOOOVE with the chairs! and the Pooch!
    So creative! Love this post...thank you for linking up to Whassup Wednesday! Hope to see you tomorrow:)

    xoxokara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great way to recycle! You did a beautiful job re-purposing these and making them beautiful! Thanks for linking up to Inspiration Friday At The Picket Fence!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great site! I like the way you set this up! Great content and images as well! Thanks for sharing this! Great work!...Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was like you when I first heard about ORB on the blogs - like what the heck? But I was a convert too! It is sort of addictive. Love the chairs. I think the cushions should hold up for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have yet to try the ORB..but I am determined to this year for sure. Great looking chairs. Thanks for sharing at my party

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also every Monday I host a newbie party, hope you join in, this is a great party and a wonderful way to meet new bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ I am so planning on it! I saw that you had a newbie party on your fun awesome blog and was already planning on it! As a newbie I can't thank you enough! See you Monday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @PamThank you Pam! I sort of feel like a kid in a candy shop discovering so many amazing things! I'm so glad you think the cushions will last a few years. Only problem now is the fabric was bought 2 years ago so I will just have to find something that blends.
    By the way - I voted yes for the Turquoise. Another addiction of mine! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Art instruction DVDs Oh Daniel, you made my day! So very honored to hear from such a talented artist! Thank you so much. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  12. really great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mimi,
    Those turned out great! I love ORB spray paint. And the fabric looks great too.
    You sounded so much like my mom as I read this post. She was always trying to get things done quickly for us kids and was always using whatever resources she had! What a precious mom you are.
    How blessed your daughter is.
    Thanks for linking up to my party!
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Traci@ Beneath My Heart
    Oh Traci - thank you so much for your kind sweet comment! I am so honored that you think I sounded like your dear Mom. She is someone I would have loved to meet. She would be very proud of you!
    And thanks so much for your party! It's wonderful. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mimi - I am a new convert to ORB after a star project I did (http://junkyvagabond.blogspot.com/2011/04/change-is-good.html). Love your chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I have 6 very similar chairs that need new seats. I'm curious about the saw you used for the wood? Do you own it or were you able to have a store cut the exact size and shape for you? I won't use a saw for more than this project so it isn't worth me going out and buying one!
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! I'm so glad you posted this. I have 6 iron chairs very similar to this that all need new seats. I'm curious about the table saw and if you own it or if you were able to have a store cut the exact shape and size for you? I won't use a table saw for more than this project so it isn't worth me going and buying one... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! I have 6 very similar chairs that need new seats. I'm curious about the saw you used for the wood? Do you own it or were you able to have a store cut the exact size and shape for you? I won't use a saw for more than this project so it isn't worth me going out and buying one!
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you are here! Please leave a comment or note or whatever it takes so I can get to know you too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover