Thursday, April 14, 2011

My K project from my Hardware Treasure Chest - Finished!



Finished! ....for now.   Late in the day and used the only frame that worked.  And I wish the photo did justice for my pink chick from Tuesday Morning. I have so much junk stuff that it got lost for a while.   Glad to find it - makes me SMILE Love her so much she will be back!



This is my treasure chest.  Sort of like the chest you dig through at the dentist's office {as a child} after he has drilled 10+  cavities.  But better 'cause no dentist involved.

 It's is a box full of leftover washers, screws, bolts, nuts, and some things I don't even know their name.  It's a Hodge Podge of leftover stuff at my hubs electronics manufacturing company.  So.......I snagged grabbed a few handfuls.  Brought it all home and decided to make my letter "K"  {for my daughter, Kathleen}  I used some leftover off-white burlap for the backing.   

Hand sketched the letter K with chalk onto the burlap.  Because I don't have a Cricut or Silhouette SD :(  But my Bday is the end of April and we'll see what happens.....I did have to use my craft knife to cut out stencils for my next project (comparing glass etching cream vs. frost spray!  Coming soon!

I began by laying out the pieces for my  K - placing the bigger and more unusual pieces first.   
I was a little worried about what adhesive would work with fabric and metal.  There were lots of recommendations but I tested my favorite, Liquid Stitch last night.  It worked!  SWEET!!!   I like to use it because 
a) smell is not strong {aka I don't feel like I'm breathing in carcinogens}
and b) it just works so well.  




Here it is almost finished.  And whoa - how heavy does this metal look?  
Doesn't matter   As long as it makes you happy!
  
And Shout Out to all the sons and Grandsons that love creating stuff too!  


I'm Loving These Parties! 
At the Picket Fence - Inspiration Friday
I Heart Naptime - Sundae Scoop
Nothing but Country - Creative Creations Tuesday
seven thirty three - Sugar & Spice and Everythihg Else
delicately CONSTRUCTED-Delicately Constructed Friday
No Minimalist Here - Open House Thursdays
Tatertots & Jello- Weekend Wrap Up
Wildflowers & Whimsy - Sew Crafty Saturday
French Country Cottage - Feathered Nest Fridays
Elements Interiors -  Whassup Wednesday
Fireflies and Jellybeans - Show Your Stuff
My Romantic Home- Show and Tell Friday  

momnivore's dilemna - Creative Juice
Local fun for Kids and Smile Monsters - Fun for Kids Friday
Just a Girl - SAS Day 
Funky Junk Interiors - Saturday Night Special
Tip Junkie at  Tip Me Tuesday     
Fingerprints on the Fridge - Feature Yourself Friday
Be Different, Act Normal - Show and Tell Saturdays
The Shabby Nest - Frugal Friday 
DIY Home Sweet Home Project -  More the Merrier Monday
Whipperberry - Friday Flair
Todays Creative Blog - Get your Craft On
Krafty Kat - Getting Crafty With It
Homemaker on a Dime - Creative Bloggers' Party and Hop
Keeping it Simple - Motivate Me Monda
Decore to Adore - Springtime Craft Party
Under the Table and Dreaming - Sunday Showcase
Embellishing Life - Craft Catwalk
Skip to my Lou-Made by You Mondays
Paisley Passions - Thrilling Thursdays
Coastal Charm - Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays
Mommaskindacrafty   - Fantabulous Friday 
Super Stinky Boys at  Mad Skills Monday 


39 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore this project! I am hosting a Springtime Craft and Project linky party today and I would love it if you would particpate.

    There is a giveaway involved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Laura Ingalls Gunn
    Thank you so much Laura! I wilL link up right away

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, I haven;'t seen anything like it...and well my name begins with a "K" too!! ;) Seriously though, very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this project and my son is going to love it even more. Thank you for sharing. I became your follower!
    Have a fantastic weekend!
    XXX Ido

    ReplyDelete
  5. @kayla
    Thanks so much Kayla! It was a fun thing to make. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mimi! What a cute project! My husband is going to be asking what happened to his nut, bolt & screw stash. I am definitely making one of these for my grandson. I hope you will link to my Open House party sometimes. See ya there.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat project~ it is so creative!! Such a great idea- thanks for sharing at FNF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Sherry @ No Minimalist Here
    I love your blog and am so honored to be invited to your party :) I just linked up and am enjoying all the other links! Enjoy your precious grandson! I think this is just what grandsons need!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Courtney ~ French Country Cottage
    Thanks Courtney for your sweet comments! You are so wonderful to take the time to comment on all your links. Your FNF is very special!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun is that? It's very steampunk! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a neat project! i'm making one of these with crayons for my daughters room! i might have to make one of yours for our living room :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Laura @ live.laugh.photograph
    Oh wow - I bet the crayon project will be so cute! What a great idea! Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is really a clever idea..glad you shared it with my newbie party. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mimi! Popping over from Debbie's Newbie Party. Love this idea and now know what I can do with all my odds-n-ends :) I'm your newest follower - check out my blog JunkyVagabond Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow! I love this! Such a unique idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I need to start raiding my hubbie's massive hardware collection for ideas, eh?

    Please share this with my readers @Creative Juice Thursday ... Hope to see yours among all the amazing projects!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this. I want to make one for my room. I'm loving monograms lately.

    Please feel free to check out my blog: http://www.philosophyofacynic.blogspot.com

    Thanks,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Nicolette @ Momnivore's Dilemma
    Heck yea! You never know what you will find. This project was sort of thinking outside the box for me but I am so glad I did. And also I'm your newest fan and am so honored to link up to Creative Juice Thursday. Love your blog, party and style! ( I love blogs that make me smile.) Keep it up!
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Nicolette @ Momnivore's Dilemma
    Heck yea! You never know what you will find. This project was sort of thinking outside the box for me but I am so glad I did. And also I'm your newest fan and am so honored to link up to Creative Juice Thursday. Love your blog, party and style! ( I love blogs that make me smile.) Keep it up!
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  20. @lizilla
    I hope you will make one! They are sort of fun and it's always fun to see the different variations.
    I love your blog and the first thing I saw was one of my favorite Krylon paints - Ocean Breeze! And how gorgeous that mirror turned out.! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. totally awesome. added to my pinterest! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. How creative! I love this idea :) I have a son-in-law that is a mechanic. I think he would like one of these. Thank you for sharing!

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Misty ~ Not an Empty Room ~
    Thanks Misty! I love pinterest and am a new follower of you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. @LDH
    Thanks so much Lorraine! I think it would be a fun thing to make for your son in law! Just grab some stash out of his tool box!!
    Take care
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  26. Holy Smokes!! That is a huge treasure chest! The K looks super fabulous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. @The Autocrat: Haley
    Thanks so much Haley! There truly are all sorts of stuff there. I'm slowly working on thinking outside my box! And thanks so much for following! I'm so honored and am also your newest follower! PS - I'm loving your Mom's boots!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for linking to Creative Juice Thursday...Hope to see more of your ideas this week!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the unexpectedness of this! So cool! Sharing on my facebook and twitter pages! Thanks for linking this week!

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Nicolette @ Momnivore's Dilemma
    Thanks Nicolette! I hope to finish some things soon! Great party.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Mimi, I wanted to drop by again to say thank you for linking this cute project to my party.
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is ingenious!

    Linking this up with us made the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop better and more special. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That looks so cute! I love the ingenuity. You are incredible at free-handing letters - well probably everything. It looks so good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is awesome. I had my hubby start a "treasure" pile like this so I could do something like it. I saw a heart in a magazine made this way. Love your letter!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you are here! Please leave a comment or note or whatever it takes so I can get to know you too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover