Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Old Pink Shutter and Chalk Paint Clay Pots - Succulents too!

A good while ago I found some old shutters and a small window at one of my favorite haunts - the Habitat Restore here in town.   Total for all three was $5!  
Each shutter was painted white (left) on one side and the other was pretty weathered (right).  I chose to use the weathered side because the painted side was pretty much what I would call gloppy and just a bad paint job.  I was drawn to the more rustic side.
 
What I used:
Old shutters found at Habitat's Restore
My Color paint inspired by Pantone  (Scarlett) (from Lowe's)
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (Old White)
Various succulents (found at Lowe's)
Six 4" diameter clay pots
Package of six 16 gauge Paper Stem Wires - 18" long (floral department at Walmart)
Potting soil appropriate for succulents
Stones or broken pieces of china or clay pots for placing over hole in clay pot
(I used sea glass I had on hand) 
Small stones for drainage (found in garden department at Lowe's)
Medium sandpaper for distressing (optional)
I wanted to try the new paint, My Color inspired by Pantone that I mentioned in a previous post   Found this at one of the area Lowe's.  It must be new because the other three Lowe's in the area don't have this paint.   Love how the plastic cans they use are clear.  And beautiful colors!  
For this shutter I decided to use Scarlet.  You would think it would be really Red but it's a reddish color with Pink undertones.  One luscious color here and I just bet the others are also!
They say you don't need primer but, for this project, it took several coats of paint.  It went on pretty thin.  Then again, this was one very weathered thirsty shutter.  I will definitely be trying it again.  If for no other reason but the colors - the colors are  gorgeous!  Gonna give the benefit of the doubt here....
Started painting and painting.  No prep work because if a paint tells me I don't need to - well doesn't take much to twist my arm.  :)
My idea was to use this shutter to display my other new favorite thing - succulents!  I love plants and these babies are hard to destroy - that's a good thing here in the drought ridden south.  Plus - this is my fifth project with this same can of AS Old White!  Can ya tell?  She's looking a little crusty but has lots of life left  :)  One shutter one window pane and more clay pots coming!
Ok - I have to say that this paint was AMAZING on these clay pots.   I used (don't cringe) a foam brush to paint these clay pots with Annie Sloan Old White.   Heaven!  Went on so smooth   Oh Yea -you will be seeing lots more chalk paint clay pots in all sorts of color mixes!  
I applied a layer of Annie Sloan clear wax and then distressed them a bit  Added one more layer of the wax with cheesecloth.  Can't wait to paint one with the Graphite and would have tonight but I left it at our plant where I am painting the new Dining Room table for my son's first house.  Been a lot of work but it's shaping up to be a beautiful table.   Can't wait to finish and share!   
Covered the drainage hole with a piece of sea glass that I had on hand, add some pebbles for drainage, then a little soil and the plant!  
Well - on to my project  I tested several things and ways to attach my sweet plants to the shutter.   Found some rusty small rods at the shop yesterday but they were too short.  :(  I really love rusty but then came across this 
And these were so easy to work with!  Just wrapped it around the small planter and twisted it then pushed it through the screen slot, folded over on the back and placed the plant in the holder.

I love my shutter - but decided it needed a little something else - distressing maybe?  And yep - that's a new thing for me and this paint - though it took several coats it was not an easy thing to do.   


Other shutter and the window were straight up AS Old White paint and almost finished    Adding more plants or candles/tealights next :)




DIY Club
Linkys to Love
MONDAY
Skip to my Lou-Made by You Mondays
Keeping it Simple - Motivate Me Monday
Polly Want a Crafter Party Mondays 
The Girl Creative - Just Something I whipped Up
DIY Home Sweet Home Project -  More the Merrier Monday
Making the World Cuter-Making the World Cuter Monday
Embellishing Life - Craft Catwalk
Homemaker on a Dime  Creative Bloggers Party and Hop
Creating my way to Success - A Round Tuit
Dittle Dattle - Amaze Me Monday
TUESDAY
Coastal Charm - Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays
Today's Creative Blog - Get Your Craft On
Mel Dreams Often - 2 for Tuesday
Sunburnt Cow  Handmade Shop - Sunburnt Cow Link Party
Tip Junkie - Tip Me Tuesday
Sugar Bee Crafts - Take a Look Tuesday
Nothing But Country - Creative Creations
Rook No.17 -  A Little Birdie Told Me
Ladybug Blessings - Handmade Tuesdays
WEDNESDAY
Creating My Way to Success - Wednesday Blog Hop
Night Owl Crafting - Hoo's Got Talent?
Domestically Speaking - Power of Paint Party
Elements Interiors -  Whassup Wednesday
Handy Man, Crafty Woman-Wicked Awesome Wednesday
seven thirty three - Sugar & Spice and Everythihg Else
Sister's Stuff - Link Up Wednesday
Primitive and Proper - Piece of Work Wednesday
Blue Cricket Design - Show and Tell Wednesday
Pink Postcard - Transformations and Treasures
Polka Dots on Parade - Wow Me Wednesday
No Minimalist Here - Open House
A Little Tipsy - DIY Under $5 
THURSDAY
Momnivore's Dilemma - Creative Juice Thursday
Somewhat Simple - Strut Your Stuff
The Shabby Chic Cottage - Transformation Thursday
A Little Knick Knack- Everything but the Kitchen Sink
Fishtail Cottage - Cottage Flora
A Creative Princess - It's a Party!
Kreative Korner - Tea Time Thursdays
Saved by Love Creations - Thrifty Thursday
House of Hepworths - Hookin Up with HoH
Fireflies and Jellybeans - Show off Your Stuff
Paisley Passions - Thrilling Thursday
FRIDAY
At the Picket Fence - Inspiration Friday
French Country Cottage - Feathered Nest Fridays
delicate CONSTRUCTION - Delicately Constructed Fridays
My Romantic HomeShow and Tell Friday 
The Thrifty Groove - Thrifty Things Friday
Bacon Time with the Hungry Hungry Hypo - Party Mindie Style
Spunky Junky -  Feature Friday
504 Main - Tickled Pink
Chic on a Shoestring-Flaunt It Friday
Fingerprints on the Fridge - Feature Yourself Friday
The Shabby Nest - Frugal Friday 
Whipperberry - Friday Flair
Remodelaholic - Friday
Serenity Now - Weekend Bloggy Reading
Just a Girl - Show and Share Day
Sassy Sites - Free For All Friday
Mommaskindacrafty   - Fantabulous Friday 
Todays Creative Blog - Get Your Craft On
It's a Hodge Podge Life - Friday

SATURDAY
Funky Junk Interiors - Saturday Nite Special
Tatertots & Jello - Weekend Wrap Up
Day and Age Design - Social Saturdays
Be Different Act Normal - Show and Tell Saturday

SUNDAY
I Heart Naptime - Sundae Scoop
The DIY Showoff - DIY Project Parade
It's So Very Cheri - Party Time and Blog Hop
Under the Table and Dreaming - Sunday Showcase
Homemaker on a Dime-Creative Bloggers Party & Hop
Flamingo Toes - Think Pink Sundays
Sisters of the Wild West - Sister Sunday Link Party

47 comments:

  1. this is so beautiful! I love the color and how it goes with the pots and the succulents just give it that perfect mediterranean feeling! thanks for showing! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH how I wish I'd find shutters at our ReStore! These are unbelievable and I love the color you painted this and how you added the pots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a striking color! I really need to get my hands on some of that Annie Sloan paint! Wonderful project :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute idea, the shutter looks colourful and the pots and plants look great with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so adorable! Love the bright pink!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really cute! The wire that you used is it a florist supply item or where did you get it?

    Thanks for inspiring me.

    Benita

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute idea! I think if you add the tealights...it will be a perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This turned out soooo wonderful! I featured it on my Friday Favorites this week. Come check it out. Happy Friday to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Job!! I LOVE the little pots on it. The whole piece looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. THAT is the cutest thing EVER!!!

    I want it !!! Can I have it??? ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely fabulous!! Love shutters too..., they have coastal appeal! And speaking of...

    ...love, love your beach chalkboard sign and included it in this weekend's coastal mix. You can check it out here

    I hope you get to take many walks on the beach!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Let me count the ways I love this! I love pink, I love chalk paint (I may go broke if I don't step away, though!) and I love plants! Thanks for sharing!
    Kerry at housetalkn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh, man, this is awesome! i love succulents, and this is a fantastic way to display some. i am storing this idea away-thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun! I love the idea to attach pots all up and down the shutter! Thanks for sharing.

    Popping over from Chic on a Shoestring!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a LOVELY project...and so practical too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic! I love the color, it's so bright and cheery! I'd love for you to come pop by my blog sometime, www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! This is adorable! The color is beautiful - looks great!! Such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a great project. I love the painted pots and the red of those shutters is perfect. SO CUTE!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cute! Such a great idea. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. BTW, your sweet puppy is beautiful! We (are saps!) lost our golden 2 years ago and are just now feeling like we are ready to get back on the puppy train! We have 4 kiddos and they need a pup!
    Kerry at housetalkn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi! I found your blog from a fish who likes flowers and I am so glad I did. Your projects are great and I am your newest follower. I would love for you to stop by mine as well... day-and-age-design.com

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful, fabulous idea! The whole thing is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. love the distressed look, and it's a beautiful way to display succulents.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How cute Mimi...I will be on the look out for some old shutters soon too. Thanks for sharing with my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sooo cute! Love the idea of hanging pots from shutters. Great color combo, too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. BRILLIANT! Love the bright pink - and what a great idea for hanging pots!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great project!! I love how this turned out!! The color perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a cool idea! Love the color and love the succulents!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Visting from Rook No. 17's linky party. This is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That looks great! Such a bright and happy color. How could you not love it? I love the plants and their planters. I'm dying to try that paint--but am worrying about the cost! I have succulents too, just for the fact that I can't kill them! Heh.
    I would love for you to check out my giveaway for 2 canvas pillows, going on now! www.alittleknickknack.com. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  31. How cute! I love it! I craft a lot with old shutters and this just hit my heart! I would love for you to link up on Thursday to "It's a Party"!
    www.acreativeprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi! Stopping by to invite you to link this up to Thrifty Thursdays. Blessings!

    Johnnie

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is just so cute! I love it. You did a geat job at creating such a fun piece! Thank you for joining TTF (sorry i am so late visiting!). I hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  34. You know how much I love this! Thank you so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love it!!
    great invention!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you so much for linking your creative project up at Nothing But Country.

    We have featured you on our site this week. Thank you sooooo very much.

    If you would like to grab a I have been featured button you may :)

    Have a wonderful week.

    Keep on craftin'

    Kindest,

    Mary Beth @ Nothing But Country

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you SOOO much for posting this! I stumbled across this post right in the middle of trying to figure out what to do with a shutter style/swinging bar door thingie and this is PERFECT! I am so excited to get it finished now. Awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Mimi, every part of this project is fabulous! Love what you did with the shutters and pots and how you put it all together! I'm pinning your post to my "Sprouting Ideas" board on Pinterest.

    Thank you so much for linking up to last week's "A Little Birdie Told Me...". My apologies for the belated vist -- with July 4 falling on a Monday, it threw my whole schedule off, and I'm just now making the rounds to visit the party-goers from that week. Best, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  39. THIS IS WHERE I FOUND THIS! I had run across your blog a couple of weeks ago and knew this was the perfect project for my shutter/bar door thingie and when I went to mention it on my blog I couldn't for the life of me remember where I had seen it! I made my shutter red and painted my pots with the blue ocean breeze Krylon and it turned out so wonderfully. Thank you so much for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  40. loving those sweet pots you painted...seems everyone is praising using paint chalk! i just might have to try? Thanks for linking up to Cottage Flora Thursday's Garden Party! xoxo, Tracie

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow, its fantastic! I adore that pink... how nicely it sets off the grayish blue succulents. I keep seeing old shutters at the local dump thrift store and want to do something with them but no room inside... now I've got my next project!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Looks absolutely stunning.your choice of color for the shutter is great.

    ReplyDelete
  43. This is a fabulous idea. I also like the background of your blog.

    Thanks for linking. The party for this week - Tea Time Thursdays @ Kreative Korner - is on. Hope to see you there with latest posts.
    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/tea-time-thursdays-2-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  44. thanks for the tutorial! very nice craft

    ReplyDelete
  45. Lovely! I think I might try something like this for our small porch!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you are here! Please leave a comment or note or whatever it takes so I can get to know you too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover