Friday, July 15, 2011

Girling up My Toolbox!

A few weeks ago I received a quart of paint from Glidden.  I chose a color I haven't ever used before - Luscious Mango!  It's such a fun happy color for me.  Thank you Glidden!  And thanks for giving me the opportunity to try something NEW!
Well, as soon as it came in the mail I started looking at my thrift store purchases that were waiting for some action!  This drab old tool box  (that I think was last used as a planter) wanted some attention!  So, I started out  with some Kilz spray primer.  Then, I painted 2 coats of the Luscious Mango. 
I decided I wanted to do more.  You know how projects often evolve or take a big detour sometimes?   Originally, I was going to stencil some letters in a watermelon or berry color.  I had a hard time deciding what I wanted to use so BAM  I decided to paint an area with chalkboard paint. That way I could change it up whenever my little heart desired!   Oh yea!  Getting a little charged here

Made some chalkboard paint with my unsanded grout and half a small bottle of 
Folk Art #412 Magenta.  You can find the recipe for using small amounts of chalkboard paint here
Using painter's tape I created a border by placing one row of tape even with the top and bottom of the side.  I used 2 pieces along the sides.  You can partially see it taped here with the paint and grout.  I had more artistic ideas and will show you the sketches in a bit.
Not a true glimpse of the real color but here you see the pink chalkboard paint over my Mango!

But I do have a picture of the tape after I removed it.  Turned it upside down on top of the wax paper because it's sticky enough that I can use it again.  Silly me, I can't bear to throw anything away that can be used again.   Is it because:   
a- I'm concerned about the environment 
b- I'm a full blown hoarder or 
c- just plain cheap?     
The answer is
d- all of the above  :)
Well, that was easy enough but I'm still not feeling finished.  I really wanted to add just a little more interest here.  I had lots of ideas but didn't want to over-complicate this. I don't do complicated :)  Here were my two ideas:
Using some of the pillowcase from my daughter's freshman year (same one I used in for my sweet Mom's ragdoll).  I cut out an inch wide strip across, cut it and made a flower rosette.  
See how to make this at one of my favorite places - Our Best Bites
Here is my Girly tool box with the Fabric Rosette  :)
For my other idea I used an old can and cut out a heart.  I like the way the crinkled tin works with the pink and mango.  Not as frilly as the flower but I like them both.  Guess I will just have to make some more colorful toolboxes.  I don't know about you but I love having something to keep what I am using for a specific project all together.  And I love lots of gorgeous color!
If you think you can handle it here are a few more pictures with my messy stuff!
Plus a few Sharpie sketches on my drop cloth. Having some fun experimenting and if you are a Sharpie lover like me - it works great on this drop cloth and burlap!
The hot pink flower on the right is where I tested the Pentel Fabric Fun   Sketched and ironed over it.  Like it so far - can't wait to take more time and really make something fun with this
These Linkys are PRICELESS
FRIDAY
delicate CONSTRUCTION - Delicately Constructed Fridays
The Thrifty Groove - Thrifty Things Friday
Bacon Time with the Hungry Hungry Hypo - Party Mindie Style
Spunky Junky -  Feature Friday
504 Main Tickled Pink
Chic on a Shoestring-Flaunt It Friday
Remodelaholic - Friday Remodelaholic
Fingerprints on the Fridge - Feature Yourself Friday
The Shabby Nest - Frugal Friday 
Whipperberry - Friday Flair
Serenity Now - Weekend Bloggy Reading
At the Picket Fence - Inspiration Friday
French Country Cottage - Feathered Nest Fridays
My Romantic Home- Show and Tell Friday 
Just a Girl - Show and Share Day
Sassy Sites - Free For All Friday
Mommaskindacrafty   - Fantabulous Friday 
It's a Hodge Podge Life - Friday
Family Ever After - Once Upon a Weekend
SATURDAY
Funky Junk Interiors - Saturday Nite Special
Tatertots & Jello - Weekend Wrap Up
Day and Age Design - Social Saturdays
Be Different Act Normal - Show and Tell Saturday
SUNDAY
I Heart Naptime - Sundae Scoop
The DIY Showoff - DIY Project Parade
It's So Very Cheri - Party Time and Blog Hop
Under the Table and Dreaming - Sunday Showcase
Homemaker on a Dime-Creative Bloggers Party & Hop
Flamingo Toes - Think Pink Sundays
Sisters of the Wild West - Sister Sunday Link Party
lovely little snippets lovely little link up party
MONDAY
Skip to my Lou-Made by You Mondays
Keeping it Simple - Motivate Me Monday
The DIY Showoff - DIY Project Parade
Polly Want a Crafter Party Mondays 
The Girl Creative - Just Something I whipped Up
DIY Home Sweet Home Project -  More the Merrier Monday
Making the World Cuter-Making the World Cuter Monday
Embellishing Life - Craft Catwalk
Homemaker on a Dime  Creative Bloggers Party and Hop
Creating my way to Success - A Round Tuit
Dittle Dattle - Amaze Me Monday
TUESDAY
Coastal Charm - Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays
Today's Creative Blog - Get Your Craft On
Type A - Anything Goes
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia - Tuesday's Treasures
Mel Dreams Often - 2 for Tuesday
Sunburnt Cow  Handmade Shop - Sunburnt Cow Link Party
Tip Junkie - Tip Me Tuesday
Sugar Bee Crafts - Take a Look Tuesday
Nothing But Country - Creative Creations
Rook No.17 -  A Little Birdie Told Me
Ladybug Blessings - Handmade Tuesdays
Charm Bracelet Diva  -Tuesday's Club G.W.
WEDNESDAY
Creating My Way to Success - Wednesday Blog Hop
Night Owl Crafting - Hoo's Got Talent?
Domestically Speaking - Power of Paint Party
Elements Interiors -  Whassup Wednesday
Handy Man, Crafty Woman-Wicked Awesome Wednesday
Sister's Stuff - Link Up Wednesday
Pink Postcard - Transformations and Treasures
Primitive and Proper - Piece of Work Wednesday


Blue Cricket Design - Show and Tell Wednesday
Polka Dots on Parade - Wow Me Wednesday
Savvy Southern Style Wow Us Wednesdays
No Minimalist Here - Open House
Sew Woodsy - What's up Wednesdays
A Little Tipsy - DIY Under $5 
THURSDAY
Momnivore's Dilemma - Creative Juice Thursday
Somewhat Simple - Strut Your Stuff
The Shabby Creek Cottage - Transformation Thursday
A Little Knick Knack- Everything but the Kitchen Sink
A Creative Princess - It's a Party!
My Repurposed Life - Catch as Catch Can

Saved by Love Creations Thrifty Thursday
House of Hepworths - Hookin Up with HoH
Fireflies and Jellybeans - Show off Your Stuff
Paisley Passions - Thrilling Thursday


For some reason the links won't show up here - I'm working on it!




You might also like:


















26 comments:

  1. I love it! I am hopping back to see your blog! I am following you now! I love your crafties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much for your sweet comments on my blog...too funny about the chalk board paint as I was just having my husband get our unsanded grout out of the garage so I could make my own colors....great minds think alike....:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new girly toolbox. So clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Will you come make me one? :)

    come check me out when you get a chance and follow along! :)

    www.alivedinhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! The mango and magenta go so well together!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute little toolbox, great idea for holding all that messy stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found you at Home maker on a dime blogger hop, and I am your newest follower :) Your toolbox is awesome. I need something like that for my craft desk! I love chalkboard paint but have never made my own, I think I have to after seeing your pink chalkboard paint you made, my daughter would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great project and love that color. I feel I need to save that blue painters tape and use twice or more times too... It is expensive for me. I like the tin star too
    KAT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute, and I love the color! My son made a similar tool caddy in cub scouts. Wonder if he would mine if I hijacked it and painted it a pretty color?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the color! What a fun juicy splash on such a utilitarian piece. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this idea to spruce up a toolbox!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun is that! It looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your toolbox looks GREAT! Thank you for linking up this week...I hope to see you again next Saturday!

    Jamie
    day-and-age-design.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such pretty colors! Thanks for linking up over at Club G.W. with Charm Bracelet Diva!

    xoxo
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so grateful that you linked up in this week's Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop Mimi :) This awesome post totally rocked the party!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm following you from the hop. What a great craft. Thanks for sharing it. Please return the follow at http://thecryptocapersseries.blogspot.com
    www.reneeahand.com
    Thanks
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fun project! AWESOME! Popping by from the International Blog Hop! Pop Art Minis

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your blog! I'd love it if you came and linked your great ideas to Lovely Little Snippets!
    lovelylittlesnippets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it! Those toolboxes are so much fun to play with... love the sweet colors you've used! Saw this over at the Somewhat Simple linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The mango is such a happy color! Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love those colors on your toolbox. So bright and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the colors you chose for your charming tool box. Wow, you made your own chalkboard paint? Too cool!

    Thank you so much for linking up your wonderful project to "A Little Birdie Told Me..."!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the "mango" color! Thank you for linking up last week at Sew Woodsy! Please come back tomorrow and link up your most recent project!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you are here! Please leave a comment or note or whatever it takes so I can get to know you too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover