Friday, April 22, 2011

Succulent Planter for My beautiful special MIL!



How lucky am I?  To have one of the most wonderful, sweetest, smartest, original and loveliest MILs in the world?  She is pretty darn special.  And she just had a Birthday that we celebrated at my cute sista in laws house.   It was lots of  fun and very special!  I'm so thankful to be a part of this wonderful family!
This is something my daughters and I made for their special  "grandmommy".  I bought a large glass planter.  My daughter, Julia, sketched "grandmommy"  out on the front side of contact paper.  This is where it would be so fun for kids to draw or create designs for their own special grandparents.  Just as long as an adult cuts the stencil out!  My baby girl is 21 (Yep - I'm old but young at heart forever!) so I knew she could handle it!  Plus - and I am proud to say - things look much better when she is involved.  If only you could see my "grandmommy" sketch.  No comaparison!
I covered the whole container with foil and masking tape so only the letters were exposed.  Then sprayed away with the Rustoleum Frosted Glass.  I have used the Armour Glass Etching cream for something like this, but the spray shows up a littler better.  And I have learned through trial and error to remove the contact paper as soon as the last coat dries so the paint won't come off with the paper.  I sprayed 4 coats.
Here she is ready to go to work!   (I know there has to be a better way to photograph glass, but I was running out of time!)
I decided to use small succulents so it wouldn't need to be watered too often.  Bought the small pebble soil cover and plants at Lowe's.  I spread a layer of the pebbles (about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch) in the bottom for drainage.  Then filled it to the top of the lettering with potting soil.  Planted those little succulents then surrounded them with moss I had leftover from other projects. One that my kids sort of roll their eyes when I mention it.  But I hope to get that one finished this weekend!


Finished!  On to my next creation!  Happy Birthday Grandmommy!

Linking to these awesome parties!



At the Picket Fence - Inspiration Friday

French Country Cottage - Feathered Nest Fridays
The DIY Showoff - Project Parade
Fireflies and Jellybeans - Show Your Stuff
My Romantic Home- Show and Tell Friday  
momnivore's dilemna - Creative Juice
DebbieDoos - DebbieDoos Newbie Party
Be Different, Act Normal - Show and Tell Saturdays
Local fun for Kids and Smile Monsters - Fun for Kids Friday
Just a Girl - SAS Day 
The Lettered Cottage - How To's Day
Tatertots & Jello- Weekend Wrap Up
Homemaker on a Dime-Creative Bloggers Party & Hop
Funky Junk Interiors - Saturday Night Special     
Fingerprints on the Fridge - Feature Yourself Friday  
Stuff and Nonsense - Fridays Unfolded
Be Different, Act Normal - Show and Tell Saturdays
The Shabby Nest - Frugal Friday 
DIY Home Sweet Home Project -  More the Merrier Monday
Redoux - Friday Redouxs
Decore to Adore - Springtime Craft Party
Embellishing Life - Craft Catwalk
Paisley Passions - Thrilling Thursdays
Mommaskindacrafty   - Fantabulous Friday 

12 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea. I am totally stealing from you. So classy and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How darling~ such a sweet treasure! Thanks for sharing at FNF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Grumpy Grateful Mom
    Go for it! i would love to see what you do. :) I know it will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Courtney! Your FNF is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! What a great idea and we are so thrilled you shared it with us at Inspiration Friday this past weekend! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  6. @At The Picket Fence
    Thanks Vanessa - you are always so kind to comment! And another big thank you for following me! I'm a big fan of At the Picket Fence!
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea for the gardeners in us all! I'd love to have something like this... {and it's hard to kill succulents}

    Thanks for linking to Creative Juice Thursday...Hope to see more of your ideas this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Nicolette @ Momnivore's Dilemma

    Thanks Nicolette! I figured succulents might survive!
    Great party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE THIS!!!! What a great idea, it turned out so nice. :)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you are here! Please leave a comment or note or whatever it takes so I can get to know you too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover