Thursday, April 28, 2011

Bless my Mess Pillow!


I am so proud of myself!  I finally finished my Jute/Burlap pillow!  What - was it -  February when I started it?   Poor baby got put "on the back burner" for a while.  


So here is what I THOUGHT I was using  in my original post , Hey Jute!  And I did use the burlap jute, just not the embroidery thread only because I had a better idea!  You know how projects can evolve and change AND take on a life of their own?   That's what makes them so fun :)


I decided to try to pull out the rusty red thread to use for the embroidery.  Used the needle to pull up the thread into a small loop so I could cut it.  


Then used the needle {on the other end} to lift it up so I could get hold of that thread and pull!  Easy enough!  Threaded my embroidery needle with it {don't ask what size - I have no clue!  But the eye of this needle was large enough to handle the thread. And burlap is such an open weave that most any needle can work} Ha!


Next deal here - I originally was going to use burlap but my daughters said it was too plain.  Thanks girls. I can always count on you!


 So - we I decided to go with denim.  Perfect combination.  


Well, this is going to be an envelope pillow.  And there are pictures somewhere floating all over my computer but I just can't find them. You see, I have a new computer with Windows 7, not my old XP, and I'm having a little trouble finding my downloads to Picasa.  But I know you guys don't need me to show you how to cut out a 12" x 12" square of fabric. {For the front}  Then an 8" x 12" plus a 6" x 12 " panel for the back.  


  I did somehow find the picture of how I double folded each back piece then stitched for a clean edge.


I decided to make my own jute/burlap piping for the pillow.  So I cut the middle out of several pieces of the jute.  


Placed cotton cording in the middle and stitched it up tight using my zipper foot.  Then I pinned the cording front piece (with raw edges together) to the front of the pillow.  


This time I went ahead and stitched the cording onto the front piece first. Then took the two back pieces and, as you know, pinned the pieces together with the right sides (faces) together.  But you can certainly skip this step and just pin all the pieces together then sew away!


Since this is an envelope pillow I could stitch all the way around!  If you make it all enclosed then leave about a 2" opening so you can turn it right side out.  Then stitch the opening closed {But I just bet you already know how to do that!}


Here's my newest pillow - and yea, she is a little messy too!
In the meantime I can't thank you enough for taking the time to be here.   I am so honored to be followed and friended!  You are important to me and just let me know you are following because I will follow you back!  Because I know how special you are!

Linking to these fun and fascinating parties!



MONDAY
Skip to my Lou-Made by You Mondays
DIY Home Sweet Home Project -  More the Merrier Monday
Keeping it Simple - Motivate Me Monday
Making the World Cuter-Making the World Cuter Monday
The Girl Creative - Just Something I whipped Up
Embellishing Life - Craft Catwalk
TUESDAY
Nothing but Country - Creative Creations Tuesday
Coastal Charm - Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays
Today's Creative Blog - Get Your Craft On
No Minimalist Here - Open House
WEDNESDAY

Night Owl Crafting - Hoo's Got Talent?
Elements Interiors -  Whassup Wednesday
Blue Cricket Design - Show and Tell Wednesday

THURSDAY
Somewhat Simple - Strut Your Stuff
The Shabby Chic Cottage - Transformation Thursday
House of Hepworths - Hookin Up with HoH
Fireflies and Jellybeans - Show off Your Stuff

Paisley Passions - Thrilling Thursday
FRIDAY
At the Picket Fence - Inspiration Friday
French Country Cottage - Feathered Nest Fridays
Just a Girl - SAS Day
My Romantic Home- Show and Tell Friday  
Fingerprints on the Fridge - Feature Yourself Friday
The Shabby Nest - Frugal Friday 
Sassy Sites - Free For All Friday
Mommaskindacrafty   - Fantabulous Friday 
Todays Creative Blog - Get Your Craft On
SATURDAY
Funky Junk Interiors - Saturday Nite Special
Wildflowers & Whimsy - Sew Crafty Saturday
SUNDAY
I Heart Naptime - Sundae Scoop
The DIY Showoff - DIY Project Parade
Under the Table and Dreaming - Sunday Showcase
Homemaker on a Dime-Creative Bloggers Party & Hop






15 comments:

  1. How very imaginative! I would never have thought of this and I just love the pillow. Thank you so much for sharing this at my party.
    hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful. I love the blessing message touch. Thanks for sharing with my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I think I need one of those in every room. :) Thanks for taking the time to stop by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by Carolina Country Living, Mimi! You should definitely plan on going to Liberty in September--it's almost always hotter then than the April sale but still worth it because you never know what you might find!

    This pillow is fantastic--I've never seen anyone embroider onto the jute webbing and that's such a brilliant idea! That webbing is just so versatile!

    Take care,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous and adorable project! I love the saying..I need one of those pillows right now in my house, with my remodel I need my mess blessed..lol Thank you for sharing this with us at Inspiration Friday!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Mimi,contrary to messy mimi...your blog is so neat and pretty.At last i found you..im your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! I want to recover a bench in burlap so thank you for the tutorial!

    -Stephanie
    henry  happened

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so creative! It would've taken me 4 times as long go finish this - sewing is not my strong suit. But this turned out so pretty :)

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea, and really cute!!

    Sherri:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mimi - this is adorable! I love the embroidery - how sweet. Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it. I have featured this today. Hope you are enjoying your week ~ Stephanie Lynn
    www.bystephanielynn.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and DreamingWow! Thank you so very much Stephanie Lynn - I am so honored to be featured by you! Your Sunday Showcase is wonderful and I am finding all sorts of amazing people and their wonderful creations! Having lots of fun here!
    And, I can only try to imagine how much work hosting a party this popular takes - hope you know how much we all appreciate it!
    Take care
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is really Cute....love the saying! Your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your are very creative, I love your blog happy to be your follower.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks fabulous! I love the burlap and denim combination, and the way you added piping is the perfect finishing touch! I LOVE the name of your blog! ~ Yvonne (found you through Debbie's Pet Party)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you are here! Please leave a comment or note or whatever it takes so I can get to know you too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover